The Estonian War Museum (EWM) was founded in 1919. After almost half-a-century-long occupation the museum was restored in 2001 as a state museum under the administration of the Ministry of Defence. Today, EWM serves as the leading military history research centre and museum, offering an overview of Estonia’s military history and recording the present-day history of the Estonian Defence Forces.
The 32 soldiers of the 1st Cavalry Division of the United States of America who reside in Tapa and their leader Captain Kleinsorge visited Viimsi on 15 November to prepare the heavy equipment for an exhibition at the Estonian War Museum – General Laidoner Museum (EWM).
The director of the Estonian War Museum, Hellar Lill, described it as a beautiful and moving gesture.“War machines from different eras are exhibited in the heavy equipment hangar of the EWM,” he explained. “The artefacts brought back by Estonian soldiers from foreign missions will be exhibited there in the future as well.”